Gary Wooding

Zipper wrote:
I tried to Google this but I couldn't find what I was looking for. I'm
looking for a tool that will let me check what kind of screw hole something
is. For example, I have a threaded hole on a piece of equipment, what I want
to know is what size screw would fit in there. I'm not looking for depth,
just for the thread pitch and the size of the screw. I could just buy a
bunch of screws of different sizes and keep them on a string, but I was just
curious if there was already some clever tool that would make this process a
little more elegant. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

-Nebruin

I had a similar problem with a threaded hole in a camera. The hole was
less than 2mm diam, but despite trying all the flavours of metric,
imperial and BA that I had, none of the screws would fit. In the end I
took a piece of copper rod that appeared to be the right size, filed
four flats on it to make a square section rod, and screwed it into the
hole. Being soft and with sharp edges, the threaded hole deformed the
rod to form a thread on it which could then be measured properly. It was
a thread I'd never heard of, but I managed to get one.

--

Regards, Gary Wooding