DougVL

Amen to that!

I've got a couple 1X42 belt machines, a 6" wheel bench grinder, and an 8".
The wheel grinders are rarely out from their storage space under the bench.
But a belt grinder gets used almost every time I'm in the shop. They sand
wood, sharpen drill bits, make knives and a whole lot more.
It's also very handy to be able sand with the part of the belt not supported
by the flat steel platen. Especially for smoothing and polishing irregular
shaped metal things.

There's at least one company selling special jigs for sharpening wood lathe
chisels on the Rockwell 1X42 belt sander/grinder, as one example of using
one for sharpening. There are special belts available for honing, too, as
well as a very wide variety of grits.

Doug

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Thu, 05 May 2005 16:45:12 GMT, the inscrutable "Michael Billings"
spake:

I'm considering buying a bench grinder.
Now, I realize that there are variable speed grinders (or at least delta
makes one) on the market.
Is a variable speed unit necessary? or would a heavy duty one speed

grinder
be a good option as well? Also, What are the pros and cons to having a

six
or eight inch wheel?
One of the main things I'll be using it for is sharpening tools. Also,

for
fabrication work and whatever else I can think of.

Consider a 1" belt sander instead. It's more versatile and provides a
much cooler grinding. Belt/disc combos go for $50-90. Add a 600 grit
diamond plate + some Scary(tm) paper and Bob's yer uncle.