lionslair at consolidated dot net

Grant Erwin wrote:

This one isn't for *me*. Mostly I'm just trying to get a definitive
answer on exactly how the clutch is supposed to work. There arent't too
many things you can do with a knurled knob - push it, pull it, or rotate
it. It doesn't go in any of these directions. Before I do something like
put a strap wrench on it, I'd like to know for sure which way to turn ..

GWE

The clutch is locked because the central lever is in cross feed drive.
If it was in the central hole, then friction on/off or just carriage movement.

Someone 'played' with it or something prior to your seeing.
One would not use that except for faceplate work or like work.

My bet is that it is working perfectly. If you can't move anything then
friction drive is strong and the lead screw is driving. The apron is locked
or it is under specific special control. (Taper?)

Martin

Gunner wrote:

On Wed, 04 May 2005 22:51:32 -0700, GrumpyOldGeek
wrote:

My buddy is going to pass on this lathe, not himself feeling qualified
to get this one up and running again. There is no tooling whatever
other
than a rusty 3-jaw. No toolpost, no tailstock anything, no steady, no
follower, no lathe centers, no dog plate, no 4-jaw, no nothing. $500
as it sits, in Snohomish, Washington.

What you've got to ask yourself is "Do I want
a lathe or do I want a project?" Looks like
a project to me.

A friend of mine has either a Sheldon or a
Logan with the same jackshaft bearing issue.
It didn't look too hard to turn and bush the
shaft. The other stuff, I don't know...

Indeed. Though..unless stuff is missing...it looks like a decent
enough lathe. A bit spendy. Shrug

I know you have more than the skill level to fix it up and likely in a
single weekend, based on what the issues you have shown. The big
question is...how are the ways, how do the spindle bearings sound,
and how much slop is in the tailstock ram?

As Grumpy said..the jack shaft is easy to bush, the clutches are
generally simple and the gear selector can likely be fabricated.

What is your gut feeling and do you Feel anything about this lathe? If
it flips your dress up..then its worth it to putz with it. And if
you get it running but dont like it, you can likely get your money
plus, back out of it.

Gunner

Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every
country save their own. Benjamin Disraeli

--
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life