Grant Erwin

"Zipper" zipper777ATcomcastDOTnet wrote in message

I'm looking for a tool that will let me check what kind of screw hole
something is. For example, I have a threaded hole on a piece of equipment,
what I want to know is what size screw would fit in there. I'm not looking
for depth, just for the thread pitch and the size of the screw. I could
just buy a bunch of screws of different sizes and keep them on a string,
but I was just curious if there was already some clever tool that would
make this process a little more elegant.

1. Go to the hardware store and get an assortment of bolts, one each of
likely sizes.

2. Put them somewhere all together, keep them together, and remember where
you put the box (or bandaid can or whatever).

3. Next time you need to know, look at it closely and GUESS. Then go test
it and iterate.

By forcing yourself to take your best guess, you will rapidly learn the
sizes. If you're having a little trouble seeing up close, get some safety
glasses with a reading inset.

Time goes by, soon you don't need the little box anymore. If you're cheap,
you saved the receipt and then return the bolts. :-)

GWE