Larry Jaques

On Thu, 05 May 2005 16:45:12 GMT, the inscrutable "Michael Billings"
spake:

I'm considering buying a bench grinder.
Now, I realize that there are variable speed grinders (or at least delta
makes one) on the market.
Is a variable speed unit necessary? or would a heavy duty one speed grinder
be a good option as well? Also, What are the pros and cons to having a six
or eight inch wheel?
One of the main things I'll be using it for is sharpening tools. Also, for
fabrication work and whatever else I can think of.

Consider a 1" belt sander instead. It's more versatile and provides a
much cooler grinding. Belt/disc combos go for $50-90. Add a 600 grit
diamond plate + some Scary(tm) paper and Bob's yer uncle.

If you go with a grinder, get a nice, slow-speed Baldor 8-incher with
fine wheels. "ONLY" about $550 + fine wheels. g
http://www.mile-x.com/WoodMetal/Grinders/8100W.htm

Or for less money ($300+), go to www.leevalley.com and get their Mk-II
power sharpener.

--
"Excess regulation and government spending destroy jobs and increase
unemployment. Every regulator we fire results in the creation of over

VOTE LIBERTARIAN OR YOU WON'T CHANGE ANYTHING.