George

"Michael Billings" wrote in message
news:s4see.37979$tg1.14763@edtnps84...
I'm considering buying a bench grinder.
Now, I realize that there are variable speed grinders (or at least delta
makes one) on the market.
Is a variable speed unit necessary? or would a heavy duty one speed

grinder
be a good option as well? Also, What are the pros and cons to having a six
or eight inch wheel?
One of the main things I'll be using it for is sharpening tools. Also,

for
fabrication work and whatever else I can think of.

Fast versus slow - slow will treat carbon steel better than fast, and who's
in a hurry?

Six versus eight is partially slow versus fast in sharpening, partially long
versus shorter time between wheel replacement. What it isn't is any big
difference in the depth of the hollow grind.

Slow six on my bench. Does carving tools, plane irons and turning tools
real well.

Sharpen the lawnmower blades with the disc/belt sander.

Come to think - grass is going to need cutting in a week or so. I'd better
do mine. Once a year unless I take rocks....