Duane Bozarth

"George E. Cawthon" wrote:

Duane Bozarth wrote:
"George E. Cawthon" wrote:

Nope. You can selectively kill broad leaf plants
and not kill grass. There is nothing that will do
the reverse. Anything that kills grass will kill
broad leaf plants even quicker and at reduced
concentrations.

That also is not true...I posted a response to the same question w/ some
of the alternatives a couple of weeks ago. Most, however, are
restricted and not available except for those w/ applicator licenses,
such as ag applicators.

\
Could be since new things come on the market all
the time and I don't know everything. Couldn't
find your response.

For the average person and general mix of crass
and other plants, I believe the the response is
still "if it kills the grass it will kill or
severely damage the dicots.

OK, it was longer ago than I thought...in February(!)...

Here's the nub of the previous. There is good information from most of
the land grant universities as there is lots of research on herbicides
for ag use as well as from the major manufacturers (Dow, Monsanto,
etc.). As you note, many of these aren't available to the average
person, but as noted below the Ortho "Grass-B-Gone" is and is effective
w/ some restrictions/caveats (as is any herbicide, of course).

I know of two general classes of selective grass-effective
herbicides--there may be others more recent. Ortho is one common
home-owner-available brand name that markets at least one--

Aryloxyphenoxy Propionates (formerly Oxyphenoxy Acid Esters
Fusilade is the most widely used for postemergence control of both
perennial and annual grass weeds, over-the-top in broadleaved crops,
especially cotton and soybeans. (I believe this is the class in Ortho
Grass-B-Gone, but I'm not absolutely positive w/o looking it up).

Others of this same type are Whip, Acclaim, Verdict, Gallant, Hoelon
and
Assure.

Cyclohexanediones -- Poast and Select/Prism.

Addendum--These latter specific brands are restricted use. Whether
there are consumer-labelled products using the particular active
ingredients I don't know.
Since I have applicator license for ag use, I tend to forget which
are/aren't generally available.