Al Reynolds

Default Alternative to wall switch for ceiling fan

Ok, here's the situation ... I replaced a normal ceiling light
fitting with a fan/light combo. The fan is excellent and starting
to get more use now, but the light bulb can only be 60W and
through the white glass cover it doesn't light the room enough.

As a result I would like to add additional ceiling lighting in the
room. I can't have the one wall switch controlling the new
lighting *and* the fan because sometimes I would like to have
the fan on, but no light. As a result, I will probably go back
to having the wall switch control the lights, and make separate
arrangements for the fan.

Now here is the problem - because this room has already been
decorated, I don't want to run an extra cable to the light switch
so that I can fit a double wall switch. So, what are the alternatives?

Initially I wondered whether I needed a separate switch for the fan
as it has cords to turn the light/fan on and off. Even if this option
were within regs, I can see that in an emergency I might want to be
able to isolate the fan quickly without having to go near it! I could
fit a pull switch for the fan on the ceiling, which would look slightly
odd in a bedroom. Another option is to wire up an FCU for the fan
high on the wall outside the bedroom door, which hasn't been
decorated yet, so I don't mind disturbing the plaster.

So, what would you do? Are there any other options I haven't
thought of?

TIA, Al