Peter Grey

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
This one isn't for *me*. Mostly I'm just trying to get a definitive
answer on exactly how the clutch is supposed to work. There arent't too
many things you can do with a knurled knob - push it, pull it, or rotate
it. It doesn't go in any of these directions. Before I do something like
put a strap wrench on it, I'd like to know for sure which way to turn ..

GWE

In the absence of a more qualified poster, I will tell you that the clutch
on my 11" South Bend has what looks to be the same type of actuator. One
turns the knob - fluted, not knurled on my lathe - clockwise to engage
the clutch and counter-clockwise to disengage it. My clutch has a stack of
plates that alternately have internal and external splines, and a threaded
"clamp plate" that's actuated by a threaded shaft attached to the knob.
When one turns the knob, the clamp plate tightens the clutch pack and away
you go.

Forgive me if I'm stating the obvious.

Peter