Pete C

Default d-i-y sliding steel double gate

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 23:44:53 +0100, T i m wrote:

Hi Pete,

I might of got that wrong then? I thought they said they stick the
posts in a big chamber, suck out all (or a lot of) the air, spray in
fluid then thet the air back in (drawing the fluids with it?). I think
that's what they said and it was some years ago now ..?

You're right, they do, though how far it goes into the wood depends on
a few things. The biggie might be that wood is usually treated 'wet',
ie straight after being sawn from the log, making it harder for it
to go far into the wood.

This is fine for stuff above ground like decking, but for below ground
somthing a bit better is needed.

I did also soak them in creosote for a week before planting them?

Again, if the wood is wet then it would tend to stop the creosote
soaking in, especially as creosote is oil based. Creosote can be a
very good wood preserver, otherwise telephone poles would fall over
quite often

For really large timber it may be best to get kiln dried wood and have
it treated to order or treat it yourself.

Anyway, I think I'd prefer steel for this job as it's more
'mechanical' ..

True, should last forever.

cheers,
Pete.