indago

050428 1110 - Nehmo Sergheyev posted:

- A Concerned Woodworker -
Well, just to let you guys know, I have been made aware of a very
unfortunate piece of information. Paslode has decided to have their
major internal components for the cordless nail gun group, to be
manufactured and machined in China. This may not sound like much, but
this amounts to 95 % of the internal workings of the gun. This will
include all framers as well as trimmers. This will more than likely
lead to more failures in the field, and God knows when we pay as much
for these tools as we do, we expect them to work ! Oh well, another
quality tool down the crapper !!!

- Nehmo *
Quality of a product doesnıt necessarily suffer when the manufacturing
operations are moved from the US to China. The company can use same
quality control procedures at the new location. But I suspect your
objection to Paslodeıs decision comes from protectionism rather than a
concern for quality. If thatıs so, then you need to find a better issue
than quality. The US isnıt known for top quality anymore.

Probably for legal and economic reasons, Paslode decided it was more
efficient to manufacture these components in China. The other elements
of the Paslodeıs business, design, marketing, and the remaining
manufacturing processes, still take place in the US.
http://www.paslode.com/jobs/plantloc.html . Thatıs how the economy of
manufacturing works. You have something done where it is cheapest,
legally possible, or most convenient to have it done.

Anyway, where did you learn about this? I welcome the news myself. Maybe
because of this Iıll be able to afford one of their
(currently-overpriced) guns someday.

And so, the race to the bottom...