Tanya

Ken Weitzel wrote:

Tanya wrote:

Ken Weitzel wrote:

Tanya wrote:

hi,
(hope this question is ok for this ng)
i have 2 old ( 5 y/o) scanners (umax and ibm (parallel)) which have not
been used for several years.
they both scan well HOWEVER in both cases, the results have a yellow
tint (as though there was a yellow filter)
(they are on different pcs)
does anyone know how to *fix* this? (even a cleaning solution?)
(they are WAY out of warranty)
thank you

Hi Tanya...

Photography has been my lifelong hobby (and I'm real old

Scanned tons of old photos, negatives and slides for
archiving and sharing with family members with flatbeds,
dedicated scanners, and even a drum scanner. Having said
all that, take my advice with a grain of salt

I'd like to suggest that with two scanners producing a
yellow cast it's not the scanners at all, but rather
calibration of your monitor. (keep in mind that no matter
what the quality of your scanner, scans *will* need some
touch up afterwards anyway)

Several ways to check. Take one of your scans to a friend
or neighbor; have a look at it on their monitor. Or take
one of your scans, burn it to a dvd and look at it on your
television set.

i don't have the technology but will try a floppy disk on another pc

If all that is difficult then send me an email. I'll be
happy to send you a couple of scans. Small compressed jpeg's,
perhaps one straight from the scanner and a second copy of the
same after touch-up. That way you'll know for sure

Take care.

Ken

hi Ken,
thanks so much for replying!
i wasn't clear initially: these scanners are on separate pcs (different
brands) with separate monitors (different video cards and monitor brands)
there are 2 things in common though:
1. windows95B and
2. me (being the user

i have scanned the same photos on the 3rd pc and the result has no yellow
tint.
(each of the 2 yellow producing scanners have the correct settings (i.e. the
ibm is set up as it should be and the umax is set up as it should be)
printouts of each are as they appear on the monitors....yellowish

i'll try is to save the output images to disks and try them on the functioning
computer since it could be possible that both display settings are off on both
of the 95b pcs....
(although would incorrect display settings cause the prints (hard copies) to
be yellowish?
i thank you again and appreciate your advice and any more!
sincerely
Tanya

Hi Tanya...

Got me really curious, now.

If you have an ordinary photo that's not identifying or personal
could you scan it with one of the "yellow" scanners, and
send me an email with it attached?

I'd prefer you scan it at or very near to 300 pixels per
inch, with the scanner controls at default. Then save it
as a jpeg, with very very little compression.

I'll be happy to let you know what I can find out.

And one other thing - very unlikely - came to mind.
Seeing the scanners have been unused for a couple of years,
is it at all possible that they've been stored near a
very heavy smoker? I think that tobacco smoke buildup
looks more brown-ish that yellow, but....

Take care.

Ken

hi Ken,
thanks for replying again!
i will send a photo in the very near future

as far as smoking -- yup -- ashamed to admit it however the scanners are not open
(they each have covers) and there is no tobacco contamination on other surfaces
(that are exposed to the air)
thanks!