carl mciver

"monkers" wrote in message
oups.com...
| Thanks guys, Im gonna try a counterweight like suggested. I planned on
| putting a "stop" on it for safety. I will tack weld a rod and use some
| barbells to figure out how much weight is needed. Thanks again

I don't know if you're interested in this or not, but I grew up in
Texas, and there are some _really, really_ big BBQ rigs that folks are quite
proud of. Some can several pigs at once, so the lids are enormous (they
start with surplus oilfield tanks!) To counterweight a lid that big makes
for really heavy transport, so I've seen a lever of sorts that when in
transit or storage is folded next to the BBQ, and when it use is folded out.
At the end of the lever is a cable for the counterweight. Less weights
required for the longer lever. Just watch your head if you're behind the
thing!