Harold and Susan Vordos

"Peter T. Keillor III" wrote in message
On 4 May 2005 13:54:11 -0700, wrote:

A carriage stop the automatically disengages the feed is a whole
different animal than a passive stop. Most small lathes don't have

that
feature.

Guess I'm spoiled, then.
http://home.comcast.net/~glyford/lathe/img8.gif
The bottom rod with the two clamp on collars pops
the carriage out of drive in either direction.
http://home.comcast.net/~glyford/lat...deyApron1a.jpg
It even has a fine adjust on it, but only on the "towards
the headstock" side. I really like having the direction
reverse right on the carriage, too. Makes left-hand
threading a breeze.

Speaking of threading, does anyone else turn inside
threads by running the tool upside down on the far side
of the bore, rather than rightside up cutting towards
the operator? Probably just me, but I'm more comfortable
seeing what I'm doing that way...
--Glenn Lyford

Nope, the last time I ran with the tool right side up on the far side
with the lathe in reverse. That way, the tool was coming out of the
hole instead of going in. This was a 5 tpi thread, so even at slow
spindle speed, it moved pretty quick. I reported on it a month or two
ago on this newsgroup. Look for broom handle thread.

Pete Keillor

That's a common trick used by those of us that have worked in commercial
shops. Be aware that where you place your compound isn't the same as when
threading towards the headstock. You likely understand why.

Harold