Spehro Pefhany

On Wed, 04 May 2005 14:23:31 GMT, the renowned bart
wrote:

Found this job posting in the paper,
http://workingvancouverjobs.canada.c...42735b6049b1e0
I didn't realize there would be enough interest in African forging to
draw in the crowds in order to pay those sorts of wages though!

Looks like it was driven by an acquisition:

http://www3.museumofmaking.org/dbtw-...ne_aboutus.htm

"In 1999, a collection of metalworking objects from Africa was
acquired by the Museum, in order to continue to preserve the pieces. "

There's a Powerpoint show (about 7M)
http://www3.africanmetalworking.org/..._slideshow.htm

The old machinery in the "Museum of Making" itself looks like a real
treat to see:

http://www3.museumofmaking.org/dbtw-...r04/pana9b.jpg
http://www3.museumofmaking.org/dbtw-...KER04/3934.jpg

etc. etc.

http://www3.museumofmaking.org/dbtw-wpd/exec/dbtwpub.dll?AC=MENU_QUERY&XC=/dbtw-wpd/exec/dbtwpub.dll&BU=http%3A//www3.museumofmaking.org/dbtw-wpd/machine_aboutus.htm&TN=BUNKER04&SN=machines_all&RF =web+%3E%3E+thumbs_pana&EF=edit&DF=web+%3E%3E+brie f+view&MR=60&RL=0&EL=0&DL=0&NP=3

"In 2001, the Canadian Museum of Making began acquiring machinery and
tools that were built and used from 1750 to 1920 in Canada, Britain,
and the United States"

http://www3.museumofmaking.org/dbtw-...ne_founder.htm

"I like machines. I like to see machines run. The rhythmic music they
make has always made me feel good. I first experienced this when I
worked on the large Ingersol Rand gas engines at the Harmattan Gas
Plant in a summer job when I was in University. Any of these slow
speed large reciprocating machines make this kind of music, it always
makes me feel good when I am around it, sort of primordial."

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany