Edwin Pawlowski

"xxx.xx" wrote in message
news:ejace.259$qV3.65@lakeread04...
i just bought a house the 2nd floor of which is a converted attic. it
hasn't gotten above 50 here in RI and already the attic heats up pretty
good ... probably due to the two freaking skylights, so come 70 degree
weather or better, i'm going to be sweating bullets. i don't have central
air and i don't relish putting a window a/c up there (but i will if i have
to). that being the case, what can i do to cool things down? put film
over the skylights, but what kind of film is best? i don't think the attic
has ridge vents or whatever; will putting those in help in any appreciable
way? what about an attic vent fan?
anyway, the attic is going to be my office, so i'll need to do
something. any suggestions would be ggggreatly appreciated.

What is above the attic? Any space at all or just the roof? It should be
insulated if it is not already and yes, ridge vent will help. Skylights
will add some heat and you can get a better idea if you compare sunny versus
cloudy days and night versus day.

What kind of heating system? Is the hot water circulating even though the
thermostat is not calling for heat? I've seen th at happen from gravity
getting a flow going as the heated water seeks a higher altitude.

IMO, you will need some AC in the summer anyway, but I'm a wus when it comes
to the heat.