Patriarch

"Dave Rathnow" wrote in
news:3Obee.34342$vN2.20658@clgrps13:

I would like to put in a new floor into my house that is a combination
of hardwood and with tile inserts. Each tile is framed by 3-4 inch
strips of flooring. I saw this in a couple of show homes and really
liked.

Unfortunately, I can't find any information on doing this. I've laid
hardwood
and tile separately but never done anything like this.

Can anyone give me some advice on how to start? I'm not sure if I
need to use regular flooring (i.e. tounge and groove) or go with
straight planks? When should the finish to the wood be applied?

If anyone has any suggestions, I would really appreciate it.

This seems like one of those processes better suited to showing off than to
everyday living. Maintenance seems like it would be a problem.

Expansion rates differ. Rigidity differs. Surface tolerance for abrasion
differs. Adhesives _may_ differ.

I suggest that, if you are serious about the project, that you find whoever
did the show homes, and ask for a reference from someone for whom they did
a similar project 2 to 3 years ago, and go talk to that person, and see how
the project stood up.

A lot of show homes just aren't practical, IMO.

Patriarch