Gary

"Fray Bentos" wrote in message
k...
hello all. My washer tries to spin but doesn't.
I took the top off and saw / heard arcing coming from the motor.
Is it the brushes? how easy / costly are they to replace?

thanks

The carbon brushes fit inside a brush holder that in turn slides into the
body of the motor. The brush holder has a barb that locates into the motor
to stop it being pushed back out. If you look with a torch you should be
able to see the arrangement. Using a short flat bladed driver you should be
able to push the barb in and slide the holder out of the motor. Beware these
can be brittle and snap off. If you get the holders out in tact you need
only buy the carbon brushes, if not you'd need the holder as well. I bought
my last ones from a market stall. Good luck and watch your fingers. Turn the
mains off, etc..
Gary