On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 23:37:46 GMT, "Norm Dresner"
wrote:

Okay, SOS pads in the kitchen but what in the electronics lab?

TIA
Norm

Old time TV repair guy here.Worked in a TV shop in the 60's and now
repair vintage electronics of all kinds(*except* TV's....don't like
high voltages anymore!) in my home based shop.

Many contact cleaners work well.Some are ridiculously overpriced
because the field lends itself to what is called "perceived value
marketing" and so few people understand chemical terms.

Many TV shops used WD-40 on a regular basis.I tested it
***extensively*** and was unable to force it (even in purposely large
quantities)to cause any significant residue build up.
In conversations with the WD-40 people they agree that excessive use
is not desirable in electronics but unless you use it every few weeks
or so ,you won't get a waxy build up problem.Many old timer ham
operators use WD-40 also.No problems even at high frequencies.

CRC contact cleaner and even CRC brake drum cleaner will work and
leave no residue.
Deantured (not isopropyl medical) alcohol works fairly well.

No cause for alarm with WD-40 though in any normal amount of usage.

Some very high priced contact cleaners consist of refined olive oil
with a fancy sounding name(Oleac acid)and traces of surfacants and
lighter(naptha) fluid and can cost you $20.00 a can.I cannot break a
trust by giving the product name in that case as a friend plans to
market it under a different name.
Malcolm Leonard