Peter T. Keillor III

On Wed, 04 May 2005 07:01:57 GMT, Gunner
wrote:

On Tue, 3 May 2005 11:46:17 -0700, "Harold and Susan Vordos"
wrote:

"Ignoramus18741" wrote in message
I would like to know if I can buy some gizmo that can provide a
definite, positive stop to the lathe carriage before the cutter or the
carriage hits the chuck. Any suggestions, at least what are these
things called.

Be *very* cautious in your application of carriage stops, especially if you
machine doesn't have a reactionary clutch for the longitudinal feed. One
mistake can cost you the feed train. It's especially bad if you're using a
lead screw with half nuts, such as when threading. The slightest mistake
in judgment will destroy your machine.

Harold

You will find out if you have a shear pin, or a shear gear, sooner or
later.

Gunner

Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends
of every country save their own. Benjamin Disraeli

Mine has a shear pin. I'd prefer not to test it.

I machined a stop which uses either a micrometer head or 2" dial
indicator, but I only use it with hand feed. Photos in dropbox 2003
retired files, CarrStop....

Pete Keillor