Jason Judge

"Rusty" wrote in message

Most of the radiators are fitted with thermostatic valves (only one
radiator
is not). When a valve upstairs is on the point of closing, it seems to

set
up a horrendous vibrating noise, that can be felt and heard through the
whole house, but loudest at the value. If I switch the value up or down

little, so it is fully on or off, the vibrating stops.

The vibration seems to resonate around 20 to 30Hz - but that's just an
estimate - it is very loud though. It happens on several of the valves,
but
not all.

Had this problem with a builder (but a grotty plumber) who put the
thermostatic valves on at random and some have the water flow the wrong

way.
don't and vibrate causing the pipes to transmit the sound round the house.

Yes - I have identified three of the valves fitted the wrong way around -
and all vibrate now when on the point of turning on or off. They sound like
four hefty builders hitting a radiator with a pick-axe handle each. I'll
leave these off until I get a chance to reverse them.

Thanks for the info. This has given me a good excuse to read the service
manual for the boiler, at least. Lots of interesting tips on balancing and
the reasons for at least one radiator without TRVs (and tells me that the
one radiator without one, is probably *too* close to the boiler).

-- JJ