"Buell Boy" wrote in message
ups.com...
OK, I asked about how to make a beam from 2x8's (2x10s actually but now
I'm using 2x8s), and that thread somehow grew into indicting me for
murder in Canada after constructing a dangerous skyscraper. From 2x10
PT! So I'm trying to regroup and start over.

Anyhow, my question is really very simple. I'm builing a small
residential deck. Its about 30 inches above elevation. My Stanley Deck
Building book suggests using 2x8 and "sandwhiching" 1/4" plywood in
shims between to keep water from settling between the boards.

Is this really necessary? It seems too that the extra 1/4" or so would
make a poor fit in the Simpson connector? I'd prefer to just user 2
2x8's and leave it at that.

Are carriage bolts even needed?

Honest- I'm not making a skyscraper nor am I a murderer. I just want to
make the best deck I can..

- BX1

A single 2x10 is almost the same stiffness as 2 2x8's. That means that the
deflection is going to be the same with one 2x10 or 2 2x8's. Go with a 2x10
(or a 2x12 if you are looking for life behind bars) and forget about it. If
you are into carriage bolts you can bolt the 2x10 onto the face of the post
with a couple of them (leave the holes a bit larger to allow for
differential expansion and use those big cast washers).

-j

has about the same resistance to bending as a