Old Nick

On Tue, 03 May 2005 14:47:23 GMT, Modat22 wrote:

The talk about using gear boxes got me thinking a bit, I've got a
couple old locked up 750 honda motors in the junk yard. I might just
take the cylinders and pistons off attach a drive pulley where the
alternator was and use the chain sprocket to drive a pulley reduction.
I'm not sure what the gear ratios are for these motors.

Not more than probably 15:1 in bottom gear.

I had a 750. IIRC I could do maybe 70KPH in first (???)
That's 44 mph, 3870 fpm.

Wheels were 2.3(?) ft diam = 7.2 feet circumference.
Therefore wheel RPM is 3870 / 7.2 = 540 RPm
8000 rpm / 540 rpm = 14.8

The only reason I'm using a 10 hp gas motor for this is basically its
what I have laying around.

It really is way overboard. Does it have to run at 1800 RPM? You could
probably go somewhere in between, use less gearing and still have
enough torque at the band. the motor would loaf along.

What are yuou cutting with this, BTW?