Isaac Wingfield

In article ,
"jakdedert" wrote:

Dan wrote:
Then it dawned on me: "I bet those magnets from the HDD are
more than strong enough to hold this thing shut against the seal &
force of the door switch". Works like a charm, in fact I only need
ONE of them! Judging from the pull now required to
open the door, it's actually tighter than it was with the original
catch! Further justification for my "never throw ANYTHING out"
policy ;-)

Yeah, they're pretty amazing. I sometimes carry a pair around in to play
with. Don't get them anywhere near magnetic media, of course, and don't let
small children handle them unless they're firmly stuck together. I've seen
people injure themselves, as well....

Be careful with those. They're very brittle, and can shatter when they
snap together. You might think that the magnetic field would control the
shards, but it doesn't.

When the magnets crash together and shatter, the strength goes way down,
and the shards come out *really fast*.

Isaac