"I'd prefer you scan it at or very near to 300 pixels per
inch, with the scanner controls at default"

My scanner has an intenal gamma setting. While this may not be needed
in this case, for very old photos it makes a difference. I'm hoping to
recieve in the near future a pic of my Great-Grandfather, the copies of
which leave much to be desired, but I want my uncle to rescan it using
different settings. The refined settings on the scanner will reduce
pixelation to say the least, eliminate some noise and make further
processing easier.

JURB