mac davis

On Tue, 03 May 2005 22:12:57 -0400, Leo Van Der Loo
wrote:

Hi Mac

I have turned magnolia, I also have a "large" magnolia on my front lawn,
of course large by the standard of the magnolias that are able to
survive up here, and that is probably not the same one as yours.

Depending on who you believe, there are something like 100 to 200
species in the world, shrubs are included in these numbers.
There are about 10 native tree species in North America, if you include
the Anise tree and the yellow poplar, and al kinds of hybrids.

The one I have is the saucer magnolia, and the wood is very light
colored, and soft, turned ok, and I used it with the bark on for some
Christmas tree birdhouse ornaments, didn't have any crack on me.
People must have liked them, they sold every one of them, except the one
my LOML kept for our tree.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

that sounds a lot like this wood, Leo...
of course, I only have small stuff from pruning it, but I played around and made
4 or 5 bench pegs tonight.. *g*

mac davis wrote:

Having a large magnolia tree in the front lawn, I burn a LOT of branch wood
every year...

Since it's been too warm for a fire lately, i saw a stack of freshly cut "twigs"
and put one on the lathe out of curiosity.. couldn't have been more than 1 1/2"
diameter and off the tree a week..

It seemed to turn ok and was very white.. didn't sand very well, but it was
green.. *lol*

Anyway, I did a few spindles to decorate the kindling pile and turned a few foot
long sections for "blanks for something", which I put in paper bags..

I've been watching the spindles in the kindling pile for 3 or 4 days now and so
far no splitting or obvious warping.. weird..

Is this a common thing with magnolia, or did I just pick a lucky couple of
branches??
If I turn green plum, almond, pine, etc. and don't immediately bag it, it's
cracked badly by the next morning..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing