Leo Van Der Loo

Hi Derek

I feel similar about the finishing of the total, that includes top as
well as the bottom, IMO.
At one time, (long time ago) (longer than thatG) I didn't know how to
get around the screw holes left by the screws used with the face plate,
(this was before bowl gouges and woodchucks etc., and used felt disk
glued to the bottom, that was my way of finishing then.
It is so much nicer now to be able to make the bottom just as nice
(sometimes nicer) as the rest of the turning and I have a few pictures
in one album on my site that shows how I have done the bottom finish on
those turnings.
Have a look if interested

http://homepage.mac.com/l.vanderloo/PhotoAlbum23.html

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Derek Hartzell wrote:

To me, the markings left by my Stronghold chuck are not acceptable. If you
click on Leo's picture "There is no indication of any destruction caused by
the Stronghold chuck !!!" at
http://homepage.mac.com/l.vanderloo/PhotoAlbum26.html , you will see the
marks left by the chuck jaws. It is up to the individual to decide whether
these are acceptable or not. I prefer to have a radiused recess.

Derek