Leo Van Der Loo

Neill I totally agree

I have come a long way, in more than one way, and because of al kinds of
ideas and input of turners from around the globe I have found more and
better ways (in my opinion) to make round wood, and do enjoy helping
others to overcome some of the same problems we all have run into.
We sometimes come over like "my way or the hiway" but I think that this
is also because the written word is oh so easily misunderstood.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

neill wrote:

George,

on the one hand i respect and appreciate the creative, problem solving,
can-do attitude that you are promoting.

on the other hand (and please correct me if i am wrong about the intent of
your words) i get a bad taste in my mouth from the dogmatic, missionary, tone
in some of your comments. its like you are trying to win converts to your way
of working. as if your way is the one true way and everyone else is turning
in sin.

i would never fault you for discussing ways of working around the limitations
of your equipment. please tell me why the limitations, design flaws, etc. of
my equipment are not a valid topic of discussion. imagine if people had never
discussed ways of making lathes and turning tools better. your lathe would be
made of wood instead of cast iron, you would not have electronic variable
speed, you would not have a four jaw scroll chuck that was made for
woodturning, etc. etc.

we don't need the thought police telling us to just shut up and make do with
things the way they are. lets keep the dialogue open and free because that is
what has allowed the evolution of the modern tools we now enjoy. may they
continue to evolve and improve.