Leo Van Der Loo

Hi Neill

and thank you

My personal opinion on the so called "destruction" is just a overblown
ballyhoo, anyway I do use tenons as well as recesses, the problem with a
tenon if used on a deeper bowl or other deep turning in a side grain
held way, is the possibility of breaking the tenon off of the blank, and
If You don't get hurt the turning probably will.

So if one is to use a tenon without the tailstock support, the type of
wood used has to be taken into consideration, some wood splits easy and
some does not, and some wood is just to soft to be held that way.
Also the way the tools are used makes a big difference, and don't talk
about catches.

One other thing to consider is that the jaws do less damage to a turning
than it flying out of a chuck and bouncing around the shop.

One more thing, did you have a look at the way I finish my bowl etc.
bottoms ? if not, have a look, if you want, no chuck marks on them.

http://homepage.mac.com/l.vanderloo/PhotoAlbum23.html

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

neill wrote:

nice work Leo. i enjoy your website. i think the "destruction" that most
people are crying about comes from the ribbed inside of the oneway jaws when
they grip in compression mode.