monkers

Default How to spring load pig cooker lid for easy opening-closing

I am helping a friend build a pig cooker out of a propane tank (about
30" in dia. by 4'long +or-) the lid is pretty heavy and I would like to
make up a spring and cable to help lift it, I just dont know how to
arrange it. Do I have to build a "mast" that would be higher than the
height of the door in the opened position, with a cable attached to the
door and going over a pulley connected to a spring with a turnbuckle?
How big of a spring should I use? I can connect it to the frame of the
cooker. Will it work without making the "mast" sticking up in mid air?
What about a pulley mounted behind the lid, attached to the spring? Any
help would be great.
Thank you,
Craig