Grant Erwin

Single phase squirrel cage AC motors like your 110V motor can *not* be
speed controlled. So if you want speed control, you are looking at swapping
the motor, or else going to a variable pulley. I'm not going to comment on
the variable pulley method. If you decide to swap motors, you can go 2
ways: DC or 3 phase AC. There have been lots of designs for speed controlling
a DC motor used to control a treadmill, suggest googling. A 1 hp 3 phase
motor that will bolt on may work for you, and may cost less than you think.
Suggest you start looking around your area (or posting where you are!) and
watching ebay.

GWE

stag wrote:
Wondering if anyone has any suggestions for putting a variable speed
motor controller on my little 110V mill/drill. The belts are a *******
to adjust for different speeds... it would sure be nice to just turn a
dial and still get reasonably good torque w/ a reasonable amount of
speed variablility. And, I'm doing a CNC conversion soon, so this would
really be a + (especially if it has an an analog input for adjusting
speed).

I've seen a lot of Variable Frequency Drivess on ebay for 3ph stuff...
wish I had a big mill with that kind of motor... but my mill/drill will
have to do for now.

What about 110V 1ph? What kind of motor controller and who are good
sources? Is this even a good idea?

Thanks a million