Daniel A. Mitchell

Rex B wrote:

You know, the factory carriage stops I most often see listed on ebone
are for the 10" & 12" Atlas lathes. That is the exact machine you would
NOT want to use a carriage stop on. All the gears and the halfnuts are
Zamac potmetal.
Perhaps Atlas/clausing, in their wisdom, figured out that the more of
those found their way onto lathes, the more replacement parts they could
sell

- -
Rex Burkheimer

Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:

"Ignoramus18741" wrote in message

I would like to know if I can buy some gizmo that can provide a
definite, positive stop to the lathe carriage before the cutter or the
carriage hits the chuck. Any suggestions, at least what are these
things called.

Be *very* cautious in your application of carriage stops, especially
if you
machine doesn't have a reactionary clutch for the longitudinal
feed. One
mistake can cost you the feed train. It's especially bad if you're
using a
lead screw with half nuts, such as when threading. The slightest
mistake
in judgment will destroy your machine.

Harold

It's cheaper and simpler to replace just a stripped pot metal change
gear then have to replace a bent spindle or broken casting! ...
Especially since you'll likely break the change gear doing THAT anyway!
The soft metal gears act a lot like a shear pin. They're there for when
you do something DUMB!

Otherwise, the pot metal change gears seem to last just fine. I've been
using an Atlas 6" with them for nearly 30 years. They show little wear.

Dan Mitchell