Rex B

You know, the factory carriage stops I most often see listed on ebone
are for the 10" & 12" Atlas lathes. That is the exact machine you would
NOT want to use a carriage stop on. All the gears and the halfnuts are
Zamac potmetal.
Perhaps Atlas/clausing, in their wisdom, figured out that the more of
those found their way onto lathes, the more replacement parts they could
sell

- -
Rex Burkheimer

Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:
"Ignoramus18741" wrote in message

I would like to know if I can buy some gizmo that can provide a
definite, positive stop to the lathe carriage before the cutter or the
carriage hits the chuck. Any suggestions, at least what are these
things called.

Be *very* cautious in your application of carriage stops, especially if you
machine doesn't have a reactionary clutch for the longitudinal feed. One
mistake can cost you the feed train. It's especially bad if you're using a
lead screw with half nuts, such as when threading. The slightest mistake
in judgment will destroy your machine.

Harold