Robin S.

"Chuck Sherwood" wrote in message
You got to know when to dis-engage!

Exactly. I heard once that bad golfers plan for failure while good golfers
plan for success.

**** happens, but if you haven't the presence of mind to keep track of your
stop, perhaps you deserve to buy a new gear...

I worked on a Harrison lathe a couple of years ago that had a friction
clutch on the feed rod. A bit fiddly to get the torque rating correct, but
it worked. Further, many lathes are made to have carriage stops turn the
power feed off automatically. Ignoramus should check his machine for this
capability. The machines I've seen which this feature typically have a pin
sticking out where a carriage stop would normally make contact.

Regards,

Robin