IMM

Default FAQ Question re. central heating

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
IMM wrote:

"Jonathan" wrote in message
Hi All,

Just reading the FAQ on central heating at
http://www.cucumber.demon.co.uk/diy_test/Q2.12.html

It says "After installation and commissioning, a new central heating

system
should be balanced." And says: The "...aim of balancing is to achieve

the
correct temperature drop across the boiler flow & return pipes (11°C)."

I assume that in layman's terms this means, "... so that the water that

goes
back to the boiler is cold enough to need re-heating, yet warm enough to
have delivered sufficient heat to the last radiator in the chain? Is

that
right?

Sorry if this is a stupid question...

Jonathan

Install a micro-bore system with manifolds. They are self balancing if

the
rads are sized reasonably correct. Then install an auto variable speed
Grundfos Alpha pump.

Haven't we been here before?
ISTR that we had a discussion about this and noted that microbore
systems might be a bit less unbalanced at the outset but that was about
all.

No. sized right balanced all the way. Have a an Alpha and TRVs all around
the anomalies will be trimmed out. Great for inexperienced DIYers.

---