Bill Grumbine

Mac, nothing around here keeps its leaves all year round except conifers,
andI don't turn that stuff. ;-) Of course, there is tulip magnolia,
comonly called poplar, and I turn a lot of that. If people don't mind what
they get and are on a tight budget, I suggest poplar. If they are on a
budget and picky, then I suggest tulip magnolia.

The varieties of magnolia remind me of trying to find out what kind of ash I
got a while back. I did not get to see any leaves, and I am not sure it
would have helped. I narrowed it down to - get this - black ash, white ash,
BLUE ash, green ash, and of all things Oregon ash, all common in PA
according to the book I had!

--
Bill

Bill Grumbine
www.wonderfulwood.com
www.enter.net/~ultradad
"mac davis" wrote in message
On Tue, 03 May 2005 13:06:24 GMT, "Bill Grumbine"
wrote:

Kip and Robert

Thanks for your replies. I see both of you refer to TX magnolia. I am in
eastern PA, and even if it is the same species, growing conditions are
going
to be different. It is not a wood that I encounter often, and it does not
have a lot of interest in it, at least compared to what I am used to with
all the maple, cherry and walnut we have here, but I would give it another
try if I get the chance - holding my nose just in case!

Bill.. no fish smell here, either..
I have to point out that there are a LOT of types of Magnolia...
We tried to find out what type ours was a few years ago.. the more we
looked
into it, the more confusing it got...

If it helps, we're in central Calif. and the type of magnolia here are the
ones
that are typically trimmed to the "lollypop" or "ball on a stick" look..
about
40' high and has leaves all year..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing