Lobster

Mark Walters wrote:
"Lobster" wrote in message

Mark Walters wrote:

I'm about to decorate our dining room, the final step of which
will be to lay some new wooden flooring in the room and hall.
Before this is done

If it's under the floorboards, why do you want to use trunking at
all? Can't you just lay the cable under the floor, with both ends
suitably isolated and marked up clearly as to what they are, so
that you or somebody else in X years' time will know what the cable
is?

Good point. As I don't know enough about the requirements for
outside wiring I just want to make sure that there is some way to
install the cables without having to lift the floor. If I did run
T&E and leave it unconnected what size would be appropriate - the run
down the garden could be up to 60 metres?

Ah - running power "down" the garden, as opposed to "to" the garden as
you said in your original post - that's a bit different.

Power "to" the garden suggests a waterproof socket on the outside wall
of your house, wired directly using standard cable used for an ordinary
ringmain inside. No exposed cable.

Power "down" the garden is a whole different ball game, as you
suspected, for which you need special armoured cable, and there are alls
sorts of other consideration. However, at this stage, I wouldn't have
thought that's a problem, because you wouldn't be running armoured cable
all the way back to the CU anyway. Somebody else will along soon to
advise you better, this is now out of my comfort zone! but I would have
thought what you should be aiming at now would just be to get ordinary
T&E as far as a special junction box (a metal adaptable box?) inside the
house close to where the armoured cable will exit through the wall for
the garden.

Either way, for 'future-proofing' you want to install T&E under your
floor, to the same position.

David