mac davis

On Tue, 3 May 2005 07:58:12 -0400, "Upscale" wrote:

Anyone have any suggestions for securely clamping round stock to prevent it
from turning while I'm trying to thread the end of it?

I've got 3/8" mild steel rod that I'm threading with a 3/8-16 die. I'm
clamping it in a smooth faced 6" vice and theading it there, but the rod
turns on occasion marring its finished surface. Any tips on claming it more
securely to prevent it from turning while threading?

Thanks

several good ideas on holding it are posted...
My impression is that assuming that you have a decent vice and that it's
actually mild steel, you're either turning the die too fast or not backing off
frequently to clear chips??
A good quality die shouldn't be putting enough twist on the rod to overcome a
vice, in my experience..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing