JJC001

Default Repair Holes and Levelling a Concrete Floor

Hi

I want to prepare my concrete floor for laying down engineer wood
planks. The floor must be level to lay the planks.

Currently the floor has some kind of plastic tiles stuck down with a
tar like black adhesive. I think these were put down at the time the
house was built (late 60s).

While lifting the carpet, this was laid on top of the tiles and the
gripper rods (holding down the edges of the carpets, the tiles at the
edges of the floor broke and came away.

It is extremely easy to lift the tiles using a wallpaper scraper and
this leaves behind the black adhesive with little grooves in it (like
when you put up tile adhesive).

Around the edges of the concrete floor near the outside wall about a 2
to 3cm wide and 3cm deep strip of (screed) has broke into a rubble and
is very loose. I have cleared away all of the loose bits leaving quite
a deep hole in places.

Now onto the questions.

1: With what should I fill the holes in the floor near the outside
wall, some kind of conrete or loose small stones and then pour self
levelling compound over the top (I read this on the back of the self
levelling compound packet but I am not sure if this will work well).

2: Should I lift the remaing floor tiles as they are so easy to
remove? I am thinking yes but then some messages in the group seem to
state you can lay the compound over the top.

3: Can I put the compound on top of the black adhesive? This seems to
be competely secure to the floor (only the tiles can be removed
easily).

4: Does anyone know if the B&Q Value self levelling compound is any
good. I have also seen a product called Feb Concrete Self levelling
filler is this better?

5: It seems like self levelling compounds I have seen are for concrete
floors, does this mean that it has to be poured directly onto
concrete?

Thanks

John.