nospambob

Using the 1" belt sander it found a nail and sparks from it found
sanding dust in the case and that ended up smoldering enough that it
was all cleaned out. Glad I was still in the area when it happened.

On Mon, 02 May 2005 12:44:31 -0700, David wrote:

Some of the 45º miters I've cut on my CMS don't quite "cut it", so I
touch them up at the belt sander with a accurately set miter gauge.
Different strokes...

I DO use my belt sander for metal, with the appropriate belts. I vacuum
up the mess after shutting down the sander to avoid sparks.

Dave

B a r r y wrote:

David wrote:

What sort of stuff do you use it on, Barry?

Usually fine tuning miters and fitting moldings to exact length. The
sander is located in my assembly area. I've also used it to quickly
modify biscuits for weird uses, like insertion into grooves cut with a
router and slot cutter.

In certain situations, I'll cut a molding slightly long and freehand it
to exact fit with the sander.

Someone mentioned sharpening. I don't do any of that on a sander, as I
have a nice grinder, and I like to keep the sparks and glowing metal
bits out of the dust collector.

Barry