George

"Philip Hallstrom" wrote in message
On 2005-05-02, wrote:
Since you have a lathe, you already have a disc sander. Dedicate a
faceplate (or make one with a block of wood, side grain, drilled and

I thought about that, but had forgotten since, and in fact have done
that in the past, although for a quick/hack buffing wheel, but I was
wondering if the direction of the force applied would affect the
trueness of the lathe after awhile.

Something similar to how you see recommendations against using your
drill press as a drum sander...

No problem with sanding on the lathe, though you might want to consider one
of the commercially available 10" discs bolted to a trued faceplate. Better
adhesion and heat dispersal.

For toys and small stuff, the disc and OSS have to be the choice. I don't
even keep a belt on my belt/disc sander. One goes on when it's needed.
Planes and shaves do the work he does better.