George

"Derek Andrews" wrote in message
Bruce Barnett wrote:
So are you advocating less than optimum, or an infinite number of jaws?

Well, perhaps they should have a set called "2 1/2".....

I would certainly like to see a 1.5" set for my Nova.

In my experience it is the smaller sizes that cause more conflicts. If
you expand the one inch jaws to their maximum size, they will hold diddly.

Okay, the question that immediately came to mind with the opening of this
thread, and NOT directed against anyone in particular, just using yours
because it's available.

http://au.store.yahoo.com/cws-store/longnosejawset.html

Why must there be overlap, or forty sizes? Can't we, as turners, chose the
size of our recesses or tenons within the capability of the equipment we
own? If I want to, I can hold a 12" bowl - done it a few times - with a 25
recess - not at maximum size, but at maximum hold dimension - but after the
first couple, it became apparent that it looked a bit tippy and dumb, so I
left some more wood around recesses on the others. Once I got to a design
that wanted 2 1/2 for a base, I used the 50. If I were fond of flipping and
re-cutting, I could make any size I wanted second time around.

Why "they oughtta" instead of "I can?"