Prometheus

On 1 May 2005 14:55:09 -0700, "Never Enough Money"
wrote:

I need to get the initial edge on new chisels (the "hollow grind").
Everything I've read says to use a slow speed grinder with aluminum
oxide wheels to prevent overheating of the steel (which ruins the
chisel).

I've been told that the grinder should not exceed about 1200 RPM. One
local woodworker actually keeps a cup of water next to his slow speed
super expensive Baldor grinder. He grinds for about 5 seconds, dips the
chisel in the water to cool it, and repeats the process.

I currently have an $70 Delta 1750 RPM grinder. I can get aluminum
oxide wheels for it, too. How risky is it to use it?

Just one guy's opinion, but I sharpen my bench and lathe chisels on a
regular old Delta bench grinder with the original wheels, and after a
little practice, it has worked well for me for some time. I *do* dunk
the chisels between grinding passes, and do *not* grind for as long as
5 seconds. With a slower speed, I'm sure you can keep the tool on the
wheel a little longer, but with a standard grinder, one quick pass is
all you get before quenching it, or you will burn the blade. A light
touch and a bit of patience rules the day here, but it's certainly
possible. After gettting the hollow grind in, I just touch it up
quick on my whetstones, and they're plenty sharp for me.

I'll have the cup of water to prevent overheating.....

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam