David

I did a bit of online research; the results I came up with didn't want
shellac put over an obviously waxy surface. I've never tried to coat a
heavily oily/waxy surface with any of the shellacs I've used, so I
can't say from my limited experience how good shellac is at adhering,
but what about shellac based primers; don't those hold back crayon
marks, et al?

Dave

Patriarch wrote:
David wrote in
:

No, I don't think it's the ideal solution; I was trying to give the OP
some suggestions SHORT of sanding it all off, as he indicated he'd
like to avoid sanding. The best looking finish would probably be
sand to bare wood and dye or stain the wood to the customer's spec.

Dave

I wonder if a shellac guru could tell us whether the carnuba wax would, in
fact, cause a problem for a waxy shellac, say garnet or buttonlac,
overcoat?