neill

On Mon, 2 May 2005 5:49:29 -0700, Kevin wrote
(in message ) :

Once we had the jaw sizes made and were selling them it was very
difficult to change them as people sometimes want single jaw
replacements so it is necessary to keep the jaw sizes the same. As for
making new size jaws the screw holes work out quite awkwardly.
Decreasing the size of the number 3 jaws to make a worthwhile size
number 2-1/2 jaws puts the screw holes right in what would be the
chucking diameter. This would not be so bad for chucking on a tenon
but would not be so great for going into a recess as that is right
where the pressure point is.

interesting. i had not considered the conflict with the screw holes.

The number 4 jaws were not designed by us but that size was
arrived at by one of our larger dealers that wanted that exact size.
As far as we are concerned they are kind of silly, that extra little
bit of size will not do you much good.

why did they insist on that exact size? why did you allow someone else to
design something that you put your name on if you think they are silly?

if you *had* made the #4s a little larger i for one would have purchased a
set allong with a stronghold chuck body to put them on.