Dave Liquorice

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 20:32:27 +0100, Newshound wrote:

but don't underrate the force!

I'm not, I've seen what the wind can do up here. We've got used to it
but more often than not vistors make comment about the wind and the
trees/shrubs tharshing about outside the window and we haven't even
noticed. If it's below 15mph sustained it's not windy... Half noticed
windy is 25mph, windy is above 30mph and above. It's not been so windy
in recent years, when we first moved up 24hrs+ of F8 Gale (40mph+
sustained) was fairly common, it's nice when it stops the noise drowns
out the telly and you have to speak up over it...

This is the second time in five year the shed has suffered badly from
the wind. 5 years ago the roof was taken off, two sheets of 8x6 OSB
and bracings landed across the road a good 40' away and over a 6' high
wall.

I like the idea of a concrete slab floor but I would worry about the
walls and roof leaving the floor behind.

I think that would be very likely. B-)

I'm not convinced that simple posts will hold it down, certainly stop
stop it moving along the bearers though. There where two bits of 2"
angle iron driven into the ground on two corners, these have been
pushed a good 30 degrees from the vertical over the last few years. I
haven't pulled 'em out yet to see how long they are but I rested the
full weight of one of the larger side panels on one of then when
dismantling the wreck and it didn't move. I don't think they are in
just 6"...

The direct fixing of a "ground anchor" to the frame work appeals
though, rather than eye bolts and turn buckles etc. Driving a 4x4 post
in might be fun, the ground is quite stony and I'm not sure how deep
the soil is around the shed either.

Thanks for the ideas, something to go on.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail