Mike

only thing I can make out, it looks to be a LM393, which is a dual
comparator.

oops. I was talking about that chip down to the left corner, which is a
transistor.

"Mike" wrote in message
I havent particularly worked on an inspiron motherboard, but I have

repaired
several dead motherboards in the lattitude series. One thing I can tell

you,
it IS a power transistor in an IC package. either an NPN or a PNP type.
chances are, when you test that transistor with a diode check of a DMM,
youll prolly get a short between all the pins, in which case the light

will
immidiatly go out when you plug in the power adapter.

Anyway, the chip is most likely a regulator transistor. im not sure which
type, its either an NPN or a PNP. it could also be a voltage regulator IC,
but i doubt it.

Your best bet is to find another inspiron motherboard with a different
problem from ebay, and pulling the chip off of that board. like I did with
lattitude cpi's.

numbers arnt going to help you, as its most likely a factory code.

"Mike" wrote in message
oups.com...
Short Story

I'm trying to fix a Dell Inspiron 5100 motherboard. I believe that
there is a chip/component that was damaged. The package is damaged, so
I can't read all the codes. I have photos of the partial code and
location of the component: http://5100.iut.us

Long Story

My wife plugged a old Compaq power supply into her Dell Insipron 5100
(insert square peg in a round hole joke here) by accident. She noticed
a burning smell and unplugged it right away. The laptop still worked
running off the battery but would not work with only the AC adaptor or
with a dead battery and it won't charge the battery anymore. Dell
wants $399 for a new motherboard and I have to install it myself or
hire someone. I figure I can't loose much trying to fix it or
jerry-rig an AC adaptor to work through the batter connector.

I took the motherboard out and noticed that there is small chip-like
component that looks fried. I can't make out all the codes on it so I
am trying to figure out what the part codes are so I can try and order
a new one and solder it on.

I have some photos on my web site of the component and it's position on
the motherboard. If anyone can identify the part or has any ideas on
how I can get more information to identify it myself, please let me
know.

Photos: http://5100.iut.us

-Mike