Bob G.

On Mon, 02 May 2005 11:37:37 -0500, "Grant P. Beagles"
wrote:

If you plan to sell the place someday and the shop could become a garage then a
slab would be the ticket. The second method you mentioned is called pier and
beam. Most older homes around here (Dallas-Ft. Worth Metromess) are pier and
beam. If were building a stand alone shop for wood working only, I would think
seriously about using pier and beam. I have been under a friends house that was
built in the early 50s without treated lumber and everything is just fine. His
house has a concrete wall around the perimeter to keep critters out. There is
no vapor barrier so some ventilation is critical. The plus side is that all his
plumbing, HVAC ducting and electrical is easily (relatively speaking!) by
crawling under the house.

====================================
Since I am in my 60's and as of now anyway have no intentions of
moving I guess I will not be building another shop ...

BUT If I were building one...

It would definately have 10 foot ceilings.
If it was anyway possible it would have a full basement under it...
At least one door would be the size of a standard garage door..
I would have 4 times the electricical outlets that I thought I needed
It would be heated (furnace in the basement)
It would be air conditioned
no smaller then 24x36 ....

Bob Griffiths.....