stanley baer

Default Motor oil in lathe gearbox

I have a large Monarch lathe built in 1944. It has a geared head,a
plain bearing spindle and some sort of oiling pump to lubricate it. I
use the machine about once a week for half an hour or so at a time, I
live in Canada and my shop is unheated. The belt drive setup was
originally setup for a maximum speed of 500 RPM but I changed it so that
it goes up to 1000 RPM because I came across a very similar Monarch
lathe set up this way from the factory.

I noticed it was low on oil and I was in a rush to fix my tractor so I
added 4 litres of 10W30 motor oil that I had on hand to get it to the
proper level. Is this ok or have I done something stupid?

stan