Edwin Pawlowski

"Harry Everhart" wrote in message
I have some pine wood that has some deep surface scratches and dents. I
would like to get them out the best I could before I stain and finish
the wood. What is the best way to get scratches and dents out of pine?
Some of the the scratches may be as deep as 1/16 of an inch.

Someone said heat from an iron and steam. Is that right?

Harry

Steam will get out a dent, but a gouge is a different scenario. Steam will
take the compressed dented material and allow it to expand back to the
original space. If it is gouged and material is removed, you won't get very
good results.

I'd probably plane it or run it through the planer but I do woodworking as a
hobby and most homeowners don't have those tools. Maybe you know someone
that does? Two light passes will dress it up nicely.